Saturday, 12 February 2011

Electromagnetic Pollution | EMF Pollution

Why is EMF a pollutant?

Electromagnetic pollution (or EMF pollution) is a term given to all the man-made electromagnetic fields (EMFs) of various frequencies, which fill our homes, workplaces and public spaces.

When we call something in our environment a pollutant, we are implying that it is somehow harmful to nature and to ourselves.

There is plenty of scientific evidence to support the idea that some types of electromagnetic radiation are harmful to us and to nature. To view some of it, see
EMF Health Effects.

The whole spectrum

The electromagnetic spectrum includes several different classes of radiation: low frequency, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet light, x-rays and gamma rays.

Wave frequency is what differentiates one class of radiation from another. See our page
Electromagnetic Spectrum if you want to know more.

When we refer to electromagnetic pollution, we are generally speaking of frequencies below (oscillating slower than) visible light waves.

Of course, x-rays and gamma rays (which oscillate faster than visible light) are highly dangerous, but we have not filled our homes and workplaces with these rays. We knew they were dangerous - so we've been careful.

What other kinds of EM waves are dangerous?

We didn't realise that low frequency electromagnetic radiation (including the 50/60Hz frequency commonly used for power supplies) was dangerous to our health, so we've not been very careful about that.

And although we knew that radio and microwave energy was dangerous at high intensity (for example inside your microwave oven), we thought it was safe at lower intensities. It now appears we were wrong about that.

Electromagnetic pollution - Little and often

Not surprising really. Think about sunlight. We always knew it was dangerous at high intensity (sunburn) but we've only recently realized that there may be long-term dangers from frequent, prolonged, but less-intense exposure (skin-ageing, wrinkles and skin-cancer).

Well, it's exactly the same with radio and microwave energy, and with low-frequency radiation too. Low intensity over a long period (generally several years) still takes its toll.

How thick-skinned are you anyway?

Unfortunately, some of these waves don't get absorbed by the skin (as sunlight does.) They penetrate.

Some of them penetrate 12" concrete walls. Don't think they'll have any trouble with your skin - nor even your bones!

That's why this kind of energy can cause health problems anywhere in your body.

So where does all this EMF pollution come from?

Unfortunately, electromagnetic pollution is all around us. Here's a short list of the main culprits:
    • cell (and other mobile) phones
    • computers and related equipment
    • electrical appliances (including TV's)
    • electronic equipment
    • cell phone masts
    • radio and TV transmitters
    • microwave ovens
    • house-wiring
    • high and low voltage power lines
    • information networks
    • cars, motor cycles, buses, trains, planes.
Practically every new invention adds to the pollution. In fact, collectively, we've all been adding to EMF pollution for over 100 years. The rate of increase is rising exponentially.

Electromagnetic pollution has now reached the critical level at which it can seriously damage your health.

Electromagnetic Pollution Solution

On this website, many pages deal with just one source of electromagnetic pollution. But when you read them, don't forget the big picture. It's the sum of all these EMF pollutants that creates the health hazard .

If your house is next to a cell phone tower, it's easy to become fixated on that. But that tower may only contribute 40% of your total exposure. Work on the other 60% too.

This problem is not too big to be solved. It's true that fixing the world's EMF pollution is a big challenge, requiring coordinated efforts by all kinds of organisations.

EMF Pollution - Call to action!

But solving your own personal EMF pollution problem is usually much easier than you expect. Especially if you deal with it sooner, rather than later (and before your health is compromised.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing !
    When it comes to Health, Safety and Environment solutions, Poshe Solutions Pvt. Ltd is the leading institute for all international safety courses.
    Nebosh course in chennai
    Nebosh courses in chennai
    Nebosh in Chennai
    Nebosh IGC in Chennai
    Iosh Ms in Chennai
    Iosh courses in Chennai

    ReplyDelete